Monday 17 April 2017

NEW! Krispy Kreme Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme Filled & Ring Doughnuts (Welcome Break)

I'm not going to lie. Despite still being narked at Krispy Kreme for their ridiculous pre-April Fools stunt I was excited by the release of their new Hershey's doughnuts. As a lover of Hershey's Cookies'n'Creme bar I just hoped that they'd be more successful than the last Cookies & Cream inspired doughnut I tried; remember that disappointing Oreo ring

Of course I had to wait until I was in Cardiff to get hold of the Krispy Kremes, and indeed I sent my poor Dad on a goose chase on the way home from visiting my sister's new home, purely in pursuit of these new doughnuts. In the end I ended up paying an extortionate £5.45 for three doughnuts (I bought the Nutty Chocolatta too) from a Welcome Break -they'd better be worth it! 


Ring Doughnut
I don't usually buy KK's ring doughnuts as I figure that the filled versions represent much better value for money, but I wanted to compare the two (for reviewing purposes, obviously! 😉)



"Filled with Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme Kreme, topped with white chocolate flavoured coating and Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme pieces."

It wasn't the prettiest ring doughnut I'd ever seen, but at least it did have a plentiful supply of Hershey's cookies 'n' creme chocolate atop! Biting into the ring I tasted Krispy Kreme's classic glaze, which of course works gloriously well with the sweet dough. I did find that the white chocolate coating became somewhat lost in all the sugariness though. The pieces too didn't stand out, and I ended up feeling very underwhelmed by this doughnut. Lets hope the filled version would impress!

7/10

Filled Doughnut



"Our signature ring, topped with white chocolate flavoured coating and Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme pieces".

Well that's not much of a topping in comparison is it Krispy Kreme? The doughnut also felt much staler than I'm used to (I usually buy their doughnuts from their shop in the St David's centre). Humf. I kept my fingers crossed that it was adequately filled.



Whilst the filling was off centre, I was just pleased that there was a decent amount to be found. Whilst I was worried that the doughnut felt stale, the innards had remained light and fluffy, with plenty of big air pockets. Taste wise the dough was just as delicious as always, but it was the filling I forked out my pennies for!

Oh. It just tasted of fondant. As a disliker of Creme Eggs, and fondant filled chocolate in general, this simply wasn't my cup of tea. How Krispy Kreme can call this Cookies 'n' Creme I'll never know. It was just flavourless sugar. As with the ring the chocolate coating was a let down too. White chocolate? If you say so. 

5/10

The new Krispy Kreme don't deliver. Greggs' new caramel cookie doughnut is far better and cheaper. I shan't bother with either again. 


4 comments:

  1. Yay. Because have seen other kind of mediocre reviews too, so can now pass...amd spend my calories on better things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. & money... :) Have you tried the Greggs one yet?

      Delete
    2. Noooo! Thanks for reminding me. Have been stuffing myself with Easter treats, HCBs and peanut butter products!

      Delete
  2. I'm still miffed at them for the shit april fool too. not tempted by these as hersheys kinda puts me off. i wish there was a dunkin donuts nearer me, some of theirs have sounded more interesting of late!

    ReplyDelete