Friday 7 April 2017

Montezuma's Peanut Butter Mini Eggs (Waitrose)

There is a week to go until Good Friday. Have you arranged any nice plans for the long weekend? Perhaps you’re seeing family, taking the kids out, or even getting away for a bit. Either way, I hope your Easter Sunday will include lots of chocolate. As a Catholic I probably should bestow a more religious greeting upon you, but let’s be honest, chocolate is just as important.

Do you agree that Cadbury are the kings when it comes to Easter. Their Creme Eggs (although something I can’t abide) are the mainstay of supermarket shelves this time of year. Admittedly, they've been just about everywhere since Christmas Eve, but that’s by the by. Cadbury’s Mini Eggs are much more my cup of tea -which reminds me, I must make some chocolate nests sometime soon (made with Coco Pops not Shredded Wheat though).

Cadbury certainly aren't the only ones making mini eggs though, and last year I was overcome with jealousy at the people who were able to buy Montezuma's Peanut Butter Mini Eggs from Ocado (who still don't deliver in rural Herefordshire). I hadn't tried any of the chocolatier’s products before, but had heard great reviews from those who were lucky enough to sample them. Yes, Reese’s eggs are wonderful, but they’re not known for their superior quality and I wondered whether Montezuma had managed to elevate my favourite combination of peanut butter and chocolate to the next level. Luckily for me Waitrose are stocking them this year, although they’re a little on the pricey side at £3.99 for 150g.


“Soft centered, bite sized and very addictive! Our chocolate mini eggs come in a deliciously rich milk chocolate with salted peanut butter.”

I’m not sure how big Montezuma’s mouth is but they were bigger than I expected. Instead they were sized roughly mid-way between Cadbury’s Mini Eggs and their Oreo filled Egg & Spoons. Without the crunchy shell or foil to protect them, Montezuma’s Peanut Butter Mini Eggs looked a little battered. The chocolate was flecked with chips, a shame really as I imagine they would have been quite glossy when they left the production line.


I sliced an egg in two to have a better look at its innards. I found a centre that looked similar to praline embedded with tiny nut nibs, all encased within the relatively thick chocolate casing.


I immediately appreciated the high cocoa content*. The flavour of the chocolate was richer than your usual milk but thankfully lacked the bitterness of dark. As for the filling, it was soft but not gooey, and the salinity came through well. The peanut however wasn’t as strong as I’d have hoped, despite the eggs containing 48% peanut paste. The chocolate was by far the dominant of the two flavours, not a problem per-se, but very different to what I’m accustomed to.

Montezuma are right, their Peanut Butter Mini Eggs are addictive. Thanks to their richness they’re not the kind of treat I could eat all 150g of in one sitting, but I have been dreaming about them since my first bite. 


8/10

*Cocoa Solids 41% / Milk Solids 21%

No comments:

Post a Comment