Wednesday 24 August 2016

NEW! Milbona Skyr Pots (LIDL)

If you look into our 'drinks fridge' (aka the skanky fridge that we inherited with the house, but worked fine so we couldn't throw it out) you'll find a rather impressive selection of yogurts. My other half and I love the stuff -his shelf contains Muller corners, mine Skyr. I'm a happy girl with a bowl of yogurt so thick I can stand my spoon up in it. The trouble is, my preferred brand -Icelandic Skyr- is so much more expensive than the ARLA big pots, so I end up buying the cheaper version most of the time and then flavour it -at the moment I can swap between: banana, salted caramel, white chocolate, almond and tiramisu. With that in mind you can imagine my animation whens spotting the photo Alex posted onto Instagram of a selection of flavoured small pots he'd found in LIDL this week, and I made a beeline for the discount retailer after work. Everyone else must have seen Alex's pic too, because they had sold out the first day, but thankfully I was in luck the second! Each 150g flavoured tub cost 49p, and the plain 45p. 


Strawberry
So keen was I to try this new Skyr that I even took my first pot to the cinema with me that very afternoon (together with a generous supply of popcorn and sweets). I had assumed that the strawberry flavour would be amalgamated within the yogurt, so I was shocked -and excited- to find that in fact it formed a separate fruity layer at the bottom. The layer was also thick, and even better... it contained whole strawberries. I gleefully informed my fiance of this whilst we were watching the trailers, but I don't think he was as impressed! As for the Skyr, it tasted just like the ARLA stuff to me, and passed the thickness test.


8/10

Raspberry 
Unfortunately the thick layer of compote at the bottom of the raspberry yogurt wasn't quite as successful. It was very runny, and the natural tartness of the fruit didn't do enough to counteract the acidic yogurt on top; resulting in quite a bitter yogurt pot.


4/10

Blueberry
The balance of sweet-sour was better with the blueberry, but again the fruit layer was too watery, meaning that it was more like a sauce. The pot was pleasant though, and certainly much more enjoyable than the raspberry.


6/10

Peach & Passionfruit
The almost tropical flavours worked well with the Skyr in this pot, helped again by the natural sweetness. My only complaint would again be the thickness, but it was better than the blueberry.



7/10

Plain
As expected, I couldn't handle the acidity of the plain Skyr. I can't fault LIDL for that though, seeing as I'm not keen on the taste of any natural yogurt. Not to worry though, my trusty tiramisu syrup came to the rescue!



 7/10

Summary
These little pots from LIDL make a welcome change to ARLA, and are handy to pack in my lunchbox. They're not even close in deliciousness to the premium Iceleandic Skyr -but then I didn't expect them to be either. For anyone interested, the macros for the fruity are roughly: 6.6C/13.4P/0.3F (83Kcal) and the plain: 6.2C/17.7P/0.3F (98kcal).





17 comments:

  1. thanks for the mention! still yet to try the other flavours besides strawberry, high hopes for peach though as its usually one of my favourite yoghurts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you bought them all last week? No problem buddy xx

      Delete
  2. ha yeah i did, they're still in the fridge, had a stockpile of arla to get through first xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're more patient than I am in that case 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to pick some of these up when I'm next in Lidl. I love Skyr yoghurt!! The strawberry definitely sounds the most appealing though.
    Did you ever try Chobani Greek Yoghurt when they made a short lived launch in the UK? They were amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't, it sounds like I missed out though! I've got my first Fage to try tomorrow.. I've been a little (a lot) slow on the uptake, but I've always heard great things...

      Delete
  5. Did you see the program Rick Stein did about his weekend in Iceland where he mentioned about the history of Icelandic food and why things are so acidic in nature (it was their only way to preserve things) so i guess it's built into their genes!

    - Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't Danielle, but it sounds like a really interesting program! I'll have to see if I can find it on catch up. Any idea what it was called? x

      Delete
  6. Looked in my local lidl today and they didn't have any or any signs that they sell them. Are they in them all or just certain ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no more of an idea than you. Perhaps ask Lidl themselves?

      Delete
  7. Does anyone know if they are vegetarian? I can't see anything on the packs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If they're made like the REAL Icelandic Skyr, then I would have to say no. Skyr can be lactose free and fat free but if you're trying to build muscle then pure unflavored full of fat is the way to go. The other kind is just bland and doesn't taste right. In real Icelandic Skyr there is no transfat or saturated for that matter, just pure unbridled slow metebolising protein filled with Omega-3 and Omega-6.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Real Skyr does not have the flavor floating around in liquid form. The only liquid if any is floatiing on top and is the thing that makes it acidic is Whey, that is a very fast digesting protein and should be stirred into the Skyr if it's floating on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is written on the box "Suitable for vegetarians"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the fruit ones because our store has stopped selling them, but yes, the plain skyr states "suitable for vegetarians".

      Delete
  11. I've recently discovered these in Lidl's(Ireland) but in 350g tubs with the flavours already mixed in. I don't like eating things with modified starch but am making an exception with this for now as a post workout snack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought the Lidl ones but didn't realise they have aspartame and a load of other additives which the Arla ones don't

    ReplyDelete