Saturday 25 June 2016

Godiva Chocolate & Creme Bar (B&M)

I wasn't expecting to find anything of interest when popping into B&M this afternoon to pick up dog food. I just thought I'd double check the chocolate shelves en route to the till -just to see if they had any peanut butter twixs in stock. There was none of them -boo- but there was two Godiva bars! 

I haven't had Godiva chocolate before, but it was noted somewhere in the back of my brain as the ultimate in quality chocolate. There were two flavours to choose from: double chocolate and chocolate & creme. I ummed and ahh for a couple of seconds -would they be worth the 79p per bar? I could get three Galaxy duets in B&M for the same price- luckily my frugal nature lost out to my hungry eyes and both bars went into my basket.

The packets informed me that despite their branding as Belgian chocolate, the bars are in fact produced in Turkey and distributed from New York. Crikey that's some serious carbon footprint! 

I thought I'd try the lesser exciting of the two first, which to me was the chocolate and creme. 



"Layer of cocoa biscuit & creme in milk chocolate."

The guilt that I''d experienced from the purchase followed by their eco non-credentials abated when I cut the single finger chocolate bar in two. The layers were distinct and beautiful. The chocolate had a silken sheen to it, and I knew I'd spent my pennies wisely.



I'm convinced I spotted pearly gates; the combination of chocolate, creme and biscuit was heavenly perfection. Cote D'or make my favourite chocolate, but Godiva's version comes pretty damn close for it was soft, creamy and utterly delicious. The cocoa biscuit on the bottom was crunchy and short, tasting a little how I imagine the lovechild of a double chocolate digestive and shortbread would. As for the creme in the middle? Well it was milky, smooth and equally delectable, good enough to eat on its own but enhanced by the chocolate and biscuit surrounding it. 

It's taken me every ounce of determination and will power to not sit and gobble the Godiva Double Chocolate bar that's sat in the fridge..

10/10  

5 comments:

  1. Ive had this bar in my fridge for a few weeks but decided to give it a try yesterday after reading your review. I totally agree with your comments, it is really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you know how good it is, it's so easy to become hooked though! So pleased that my review prompted your chocolate enjoyment :) xx

      Delete
  2. We FINALLY have a B&M opening in Clevedon this week, I am so hoping they have these! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We FINALLY have a B&M opening in Clevedon this week, I am so hoping they have these! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know they are at 10p a bar in B&M at the moment. I've bought some but haven't tasted them yet. They are always quoted as being a really good chocolate in the States, but to be fair, the ingredient list is rubbish compared to continental chocolates. But at 10p it's less than a Freddo!

    ReplyDelete