Sunday 24 April 2016

NEW! Magnum Double Chocolate Bar (B&M)

Even on holiday, my long suffering fiance can't escape my excitement when spotting a B&M bargains. Our Hotel in Rhyl was only a few doors down from the high street, at the end of which was a number of discount stores, including my beloved B&M. Of course I couldn't help but pop in on the off-chance that they might have some different stock to my two most local branches.

Most of the products were the same, but I did come across a chocolate bar that I've never spotted before: Magnum Double Chocolate -priced at just 50p. I've never bought any of Magnum's chocolate before, although Kev has written about a number of their bars (check out a review of the new chocolate and almond truffle bar here).



"With layers of Magnum chocolate and an indulgent chocolate filling".

First off, please accept my apologies for the lack of in-depth information about this bar. I have two rather pitiful excuses: 
  1. I forgot to keep the wrapper.
  2. I had drunk two large glasses of wine before munching it
I did read the wrapper before I munched it, and recall that it was supposed to contain milk and dark chocolate, with a crunchy filling... It was also quite small at only 37g... but that's about all my memory served me! 


Thankfully my taste-bud recollection is better than my visual memory...

The chocolate coating was darker than your normal British milk chocolate, but no different to the coating of a Magnum ice cream -and taste-wise it was very similar. There was a darker layer of chocolate underneath the top coat, and whilst it was richer, it was far from bitter -and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The core of the bar contained a truffle studded with crunchy bits. The textural contrast was well thought out, but the flavour less so. The crunchy bits tasted like honeycomb, and the truffle was very sweet too, which when combined with the two chocolate coatings resulted in a very sickly bar.


The Magnum double chocolate bar satisfied my chocolate cravings, but also made me want to brush my teeth. There was just too much going on for me, and I can't say I'll be in a rush to track one down again.

5/10

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. I tried the almond truffle chocolate bar and really quite enjoyed it. I really didn't like the double chocolate magnum ice cream though so I think I'll give this one a miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's good to know! If I spot it i'll give it a go in that case. Could you taste the almonds?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out :) This sounds a bit sickly, not sure I fancy trying it. Is there also a peanut butter version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Snack King Kev :). I've seen it on Instagram but can't find it anywhere... I'm a bit dubious about it but will HAVE to buy it if I see it!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this bar, as I am a chocoholic! BUT I have to admit, I can only eat half a bar at one time, even though it is a small size to begin with. BUT I don't mind being able to eat half today and the other half the next day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's self restraint in the highest!

      Delete