Thursday 3 March 2016

PB Crave Coco Bananas (Cardiff Sports Nutrition)

If you regularly read my blog and have a good memory, you might recall that I picked up something other than the Lenny & Larry's Peanut Butter Cookie when I popped into Cardiff Sports Nutrition. Indeed the whole purpose of my visit was to buy a jar of the PB Crave Coco Bananas. I think I must have read about the product somewhere at some point (yes, very vague!) but all I so know is that I've wanted to try it for -what seems like- years.

What comes to mind when you think of Elvis? His films or music? His drug addiction or death? For me, it's his peanut butter and banana toastie (although I don't agree with the addition of bacon -too far Elvis.) I regularly make bacon-less Elvis toasties, and If I'm feeling particulaly decadent, I'll even spread one slice of  bread with nutella -trust me it's heavenly. Now you've heard that chocolate-peanut butter-banana toasties are my ultimate lunchtime treat, you'll understand why I wanted to get my hands on PB Crave's Coco Bananas peanut butter so badly!



PB Crave is an American company who also make three other unusual flavoured flavoured peanut butters:
  • Razzle Dazzle (White Chocolate & Raspberry)
  • Cookie Nookie (Cookie Dough & Chocolate Chips
  • Choco Choco (Dark Chocolate Chips)
Cardiff Sports Nutrition sell the whole range of 454g jars for £5.49 each, which is more than I'd usually spend on a pot of peanut butter. I did the maths, and it actually only works out at 39p per 32g serving, so it's actually much cheaper than most sandwich fillings! 


The Coco Bananas had a good inch of oil on top, which I'd noticed when I bought it. I appreciate that the oils tend to separate in high-quality peanut butters, so I'd been regularly turning the jar for a couple of weeks to try and integrate the fats back in. I hadn't had any luck, so once I removed the lid I found a huge spoon and tried to stir it back in instead. That still didn't do the trick, the peanut butter was gloopy with massive lumps in -so I bit the bullet, tipped it into a bowl and got my hand blender out!


That's better! The peanut butter turned a glossy golden colour, although I was aware that in my haste I might have also blended the chocolate chips. Oh well, this girl couldn't wait for her lunch! The peanut butter had a lovely consistency, it wasn't as runny as the Pip & Nut stuff, but it wasn't as firm as Whole Earth or Sun Pat. The spread-ability was spot on, and it oozed into the pores of my hot crumpet perfectly. 

Coco Bananas is definitely reserved for those who like their peanut butter sweet. The addition of honey, chocolate and bananas resulted in a lovely salty sweet concoction that satisfied my cravings (although there's only 3g of sugar per portion). The banana tasted natural, and it came through really well, offering a fruity backdrop against the nuttiness. I couldn't find any chocolate chunks, but that may well be me (and my blender's) fault. I could just about taste faint notes of cocoa, but to be honest I wasn't disappointed as there was so much yumminess to get my head around!

I loved this truly scrumptious peanut butter by PB crave, and I can't wait to try the others in the range as soon as I've finished this jar!

10/10 


No comments:

Post a Comment