Wednesday 30 December 2015

Bahlsen Poppy Seed Stollen vs Lidl Marzipan Stollen

I had a bit of a bad experience with Stollen this year. I first tried to buy some from Waitrose -but they'd run out- then I bought a mini one from Lidl -which was awful- and then thankfully my luck changed and Bahlsen sent me one with some of their Zimtsterne biscuits. The Stollen they sent me however was a Poppy Seed version that I've never seen before, and one I'd probably not usually be inclined to buy. I've nothing against seeds, I just love marzipan so would always opt for the version with the thick almond paste running through it.



'This Premium stollen is a fantastic edition to our Christmas range. This stollen is filled with a poppy seed filling which complements the sweet fruit and icing sugar. A must have for a traditional German Christmas.'

When I unwrapped it, I was greeted with a lovely sweet festive scent from the loaf covered with a generously thick layer of icing sugar -reminding me why I love the traditional German Christmas treat so much. Slicing the Stollen revealed the Poppy Seed swirl which accounts for 9% of the total ingredients. 



The loaf was sweet and dense in a comforting manner that felt oh-so nostalgic of Christmas' past. The spice and fruit came through well, offering flavour and texture in every bite. I'm sure I came across some marzipan, and although it doesn't explicitly mention it amongst the ingredients, it does declare almonds on the allergen list (so I may or may not have imagined it). The poppy seeds were an unusual addition, and although I still prefer the marzipan as a filling, they added something different to this festive loaf. 

8/10

A Huge thank you to Bahlsen for sending me this Stollen to try!

Just to give you some contrast, this dear readers is a picture of the atrocious Lidl Marzipan Stollen... 



As you can see, it's lacking the sweet denseness of Bahlsen's loaf, which renders the whole thing crumbly and dry.

2/10

If you've only tried the Lidl vesion, thinking that as a German supermarket they should know their Stollen, I implore you to buy Bahlsen's offering instead next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment