Saturday 24 October 2015

Wasabi & Sweet Ginger Portlebay Popcorn

This morning was a miserable morning in my house, it was cold and drizzly outside and I faced a great wedge of economics research. All wasn't lost though because I recieved a lovely suprise which turned my day around- the guys from Portlebay kindly sent me a big box full of their different flavour popcorn. 



I fell in love with their Lemon Sherbet Popcorn when I reviewed it last month, and I've been hooked ever since. Last Monday I learnt my lesson by buying the Boots limited Edition Cinnamon & Vanilla which was awful in comparison , a faux pas I shan't make again. Portlebay have since contacted me and asked if they could send me a taster box- how could I refuse?

The box contained four sweet and four savoury bags:
Sweet & Salty
Crispy Bacon & Maple Syrup
Sweet Chilli & Lime
Wasabi & Sweet Ginger
Lemon Sherbet
Very Berry
Cinnamon Swirl
Cappuccino(which I've been dying to try!) 



I've got to admit I've never been a savoury popcorn fan, ive always preferred sweet, and so I wasn't all that excited to try the savoury flavours. I met some friends this afternoon, told them about my present, and one of them got very excited as she told me how great the Wasabi one is. I trust her implicitly but I still wasn't sure my tastebuds would agree with hers. Anyway, I tend to eat food in a bit of a weird way, eating my least favourite first and saving the best until last. With my preconceptions being questioned by my friend I decided to dive in and give the Wasabi flavour a shot. 

The popcorn was dusted with a green powder which actually fits in well with the time of year (probably more so than Butterkist's 'Halloween' popcorn which is in fact their sweet popcorn dyed green). I presumed the green powder was the Wasabi flavouring but it made me all the more hesitant. I offered a piece to my other half, but he refused to touch it. 


 I couldn't have been more wrong though. My ideas of a sushi, fishy tasting popcorn were wrong, and instead  I was met with the warmth from the ginger and a little heat from the Wasabi. The popcorn was sweet too, and the odd sounding combination actually was really well balanced. The mixture of sweet, savoury and slight spice was not overwhelming, but utterly delicious. Once again, Portlebay didn't disappoint with the lack of unpopped kernels- there wasn't even one in the entire bag.

I actually kind of wished I'd waited to try this flavour until later on because I'm sure the others can't all be this good, but who knows...

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment